Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Circa 1981 – Ruelle’s and Café Central

Her Imperial Majesty is a bit eccentric in a charming sort of British way, and no, it’s not for the obvious reason that she married me. No, she’s a bit eccentric in a charming sort of British way because collects matchbooks from restaurants that are long dead.

The downside: I have lots of packs of matches that I can’t use because they’re “special”.

The upside: As far as collections go, it’s inexpensive and it doesn’t take up much space, unlike collections of shoes, horses or BMWs.

One of her favorite stories is about a long dead restaurant that was once the talk of the Upper West side: Ruelle’s. At 75th and Columbus, it was the place to be single and be seen. A New York magazine piece (starts on page 42) at the time goes to great lengths to talk up how it re-vitalized a neighborhood and went to greater lengths to talk up the singles scene and celebrity sightings.

Bobby DeNiro. Warren Beatty. Calvin Klein. They all popped by at one time or another.

But despite all the attention given to "The Scene" and to the celebrity sightings, there is nary a word about the food. Oh, they do mention that it is a restaurant and not a disco and there is a passing reference to its "nouvelle cuisine", but that’s where it stops.

You see, that was back in the early 1980s. All food was comfort food and, thanks to the absence of The Food Network, not every restaurant was trying to be high-end gourmet. You can call it the “bad old days” if you want. I call it Paleo-food. Paleo-food is simple, honest preparations devoid of pretense and attitude. It was food as "food" and not as "food-based entertainment."

So Her Imperial Majesty and her two mates – Susan and Linda – would hit Ruelle’s for a quick bite before running off to that other west side hot spot (read "meet market"), Café Central. There, they would hustle single men to buy them drinks. And there, Bruno the surly bartender, would sling liquor and abuse the customer base as if he were a future movie star. Heck, every waiter or bartender in New York thinks they’re a future movie star. However, in this case, the surly bartender – Bruno Willis – did turn out to be a future movie star: Bruce Willis.
The ladies all tell me he was a jerk. I wasn’t there and don’t know if it’s true, but that’s what they told me.

Anyway, since they were young and struggling to live in The City, the girls had to eat the cheapest thing on the menu. At Ruelle’s that was the vegetable plate. It’s simple and direct.

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup broccoli, steamed
  • ½  cup cauliflower, steamed
  • ¼ cup diced carrots, steamed
  • ½ cup snow peas, steamed
  • ¼ cup walnuts 
  •  ½ cup each Cheddar and Gruyere cheeses
  •  ¼ cup white wine (the cheap stuff will work)
  • Juice of one lemon
  • Pinch of salt.
 Directions:
  • Fire up your broiler
  • Take your steamed veggies and walnuts and arrange in some artful way in a broiler proof pan
  • Combine the wine, with the lemon juice and salt. Whisk.
  • Pour the wine/lemon mixture over the veggies
  • Top the veggies with your cheeses
  • Broil until the cheese brown and happy
  • Serve
Can’t get much easier than that. It’s works as both a side dish and as a main dish, if combined with brown rice. Pair this with a fruity white wine and it should make a easy mid-week meal.



11 comments:

  1. I believe I was there for much of "circa" 1981, as I was Her Imperial Majesty's roommate on W. 73rd Street. Fun times, but if I remember correctly, there was considerably more drinking than eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my understanding as well. Ah, the folly of misspent youth....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you would be interested to know that I have a matchbook from "The Slow Club" in Blue Velvet and, for so me unknown reason, from "Dracula's Widow."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dracula's Widow? That sounds interesting. Was it any good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! this morning, while revisiting my culinary bio, I realized my very first chef job was so long ago that no one would have ever heard of the place. After adding “upper west side” to a google search of “ruelles” I came across not only that new york magazine article, but your post! LOVE IT! Yep, nary a mention of the food, but lets face it, it was the hardy partying that was its raison d’être.

    Her Imperial Majesty and her mates ordered the “Vegetable Delight” described on the old stained menu in front of me as “sautéed vegetables and walnuts over brown rice with melted cheese ~ $7.25” (Which, now that I think of it, seems kinda pricey for 30 years ago!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! That staircase and PURPLE! I worked there when it closed. There were four of us in a heap, on my bed after the death knell (fully clothed) 74th between Columbus and Amsterdam. Where is Paul Murphy? The sexiest man alive. JerrySNYC@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, a Scot! I bussed there in 81. Manager was Irish Chris.Wonderful staff.All actors,dancers,film makers.I wrote it all down! Skates, headbands, feathers,daiquiris,Yoko,and the repartee!Unforgettable.Now I'm 68! anderson-allison@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can someone tell me the exacte street # of cafe central ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned to cook there at 17 . . Best time of my life. . . Thank you Juan for giving me Culinary direction as a teen. . RIP. . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I worked there as a bartender in 1984. Don't recall seeing DeNiro, Calvin Klein et. al. That was more the Cafe Central crowd. Still, it was a great place to work. Great staff, nice management, good crowd (always nice from a bartender's point-of-view). My last gig as a bartender.

    ReplyDelete