Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

Simplify, simplify – Chicken with Leeks and Barley

Food in 21st Century America has become so complicated that it's now intimidating. I possess hundreds of dollars worth of very ambitious cookbooks that I've only opened once, and then closed as everything in them requires high technique I can't perform and exotic ingredients that I can't find.

The ever more exotic – both in terms or technique or ingredients – makes it's difficult for real people to prepare and eat good food at home. Thoreau's dictum – "simplify, simplify" – should be a clarion call to foodies. And if it's not for you, it is for me. Working with small armies of production assistants in sparkling, high-end kitchen sets, celebrity chefs make it look so easy. And after years of marinating ourselves in untold hours of Food Network programming, it has left all too many viewers with a case of learned helplessness. They can; we can't.

Which is rubbish. As my brother-in-law Enrico once said to me, while I was stirring a pot of something, "you think you are cooking the food? No my friend, you are not cooking the food. The fire is cooking the food."

It was truly an "Aha!" moment. All one really needs to make good, wholesome food is about seven ingredients with the appropriate garnishes. And heat. That's it.

The perfect example of a simple, wholesome dish is one I purloined from a magazine 15 years ago and kicked up a bit since: Chicken with leeks and barley. It features simple, easily found ingredients and a minimum of technique. It's also low in fat and high in flavor.

Software
  • I pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
  • I cup pearled barley (available as bulk foods in any number of local markets)
  • I cup of chopped leeks, cleaned
  • 1 cup of Meripoix – diced celery, carrots and onion about, 1/3 cup of each. This is available prepared and pre-packaged in a number of local markets
  • 1 sprig of thyme, or more if you like (I like)
  • 1 quart chicken stock – I use fat free
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Grated Parmesan cheese to finish
  • Chopped flat leave parsley to garnish (purely optional – makes it look pretty)
Technique
  • In a 2 quart Dutch oven, heat the olive oil
  • Add meripoix and thyme sprig and sauté for three minutes
  • Add leeks and sauté for three minutes
  • Add barley, sauté for three minutes
  • Add chicken, sauté for five to seven minutes
  • Add stock a little at a time. Simmer for 40 to 50 minutes until barley is barely al dente
  • Remove thyme sprig
  • Add Parmesan cheese and stir
  • Plate and garnish with flat leaf parsley if you're so inclined (I am)
The result is simple and tasty. One can even garnish the dish with a bit more chicken stock to make it a bit soupier and less stew-like if so desired. And if you don't count the garnishes, herbs, oil, and chicken stock, its seven ingredients with almost no technique.

And heat.

2 comments:

  1. Coming from a non-foodie....who is married to a non-foodie...can I do the same thing only substitute something for the leeks? And if so, what?

    Seriously wished I spoke your foodie language, David! Give me a paintbrush instead.

    ReplyDelete